Packages for Traders
The Center in Numbers
Become a Member of the Cyprus Consumer Center for Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Become a Member
Name of Trader (Natural Person or Company)
Choose your area of Trade
Are you a member of OEB
In which package are you Interested
Terms and Conditions
I, the Trader, by submitting this application (the “Membership Application”) to the Cyprus Consumer Center for Alternative Dispute Resolution (A.D.R. Cyprus Center Ltd) (the “Center”), on acceptance of my Membership Application by the Center, agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions of the Center.
1. I will be bound by the Rules of Mediation, Conciliation and Arbitration (“ADR Rules”) of the Center which are hereby incorporated in this contract by reference when a Dispute arises between me and any any natural person who is acting for purposes which are outside his trade, business, craft or profession (the “Consumer”) who has entered into a service or sales contract with me.
2. I will inform Consumers that any dispute raised by them can be resolved by the Center in accordance with the Rules of the Center. In accordance with the Alternative Dispute Resolution for Consumer Disputes Law (L. 85(I)/2017) I shall also:
i. Make public on my website the website of the Center www.adr.com.cy
ii. Explain to the consumer the process of submitting a dispute and also provide such consumer with any documents required to submit the dispute.
iii. Add in my contracts with Consumers the terms mentioned in the Annex:
3. The procedure will take place in a place and time which the Center decides.
4. I will pay the fees of the Mediator, Conciliator, Arbitrator (the “ADR Specialist”) in accordance with the ADR Rules.
5. I shall send a full description of the facts and any supporting evidence which I believe are true to the Center as soon as I receive the Consumer’s dispute request.
6. I will abide by Law 159(I)/2012 on Certain Aspects of Mediation in Civil Disputes.
7. I can withdraw from the ADR procedure of Mediation and Conciliation as soon as a Mediator or Conciliator is appointed.
8. I will do my best in order to try and solve the dispute with the Consumer in good faith.
9. I will keep the procedure confidential and any documents received by me or sent by me will be treated as confidential and will remain confidential even after the ADR procedure has been completed or terminated for any reason.
10. All of the terms of this agreement are essential and binding between the Center the Trader and are incorporated into the Consumer application to submit a dispute to the Center.
11. This Agreement is valid for a period of 2 years from the date the Membership Application is accepted by the Center.
12. I will keep the Center or the Natural Person in charge of ADR harmless from any liability or damage caused to me for any reason whatsoever. The Center and any Natural Person in charge of ADR are not liable in case of lawsuit, application or other legal procedure against them in relation to any act or omission during the exercise of its powers or under the Law.
13. I also agree and give my consent that any personal data submitted with this application will be disclosed to third parties including the website of the Center, the Center’s databases, the Consumer and the ADR Specialist.
14. This Agreement is valid for a period of 2 years.
Why Should a Trader Choose Alternative Dispute Resolution?
Avoidance of Direct Conflict
ADR Procedures are more friendly and avoid direct conflicts between the parties compared to Court proceedings. This is especially important so that the relationship between the parties (trader and consumer) continues even after the dispute has arisen.
Good Customer Service
This reflects positively on the image of the trader since the consumer knows in advance that in case of a dispute, it will be resolved by an independent and approved ADR Entity. ADR adds to good customer service.
Speed and Cost
ADR Procedures are faster than those of the Courts and the costs much lower. Under the Law, ADR Entities must examine a complaint within 90 days. This increases the efficiency of the business and precious time and resources are saved on legal and judicial proceedings.
Avoidance of Complaints
Complaints to the Consumer Protection Service are avoided. Based on the Law, the Consumer Protection Service ensures the proper dissemination of information on how Consumers can resort to ADR procedures to resolve their disputes.
Avoidance of Negative Publicity
In addition, a dispute between the Trader and the Consumer is resolved quickly and immediately without the prolonged negative publicity which may be caused to the Trader where it ignores the Consumer’s complaint or where it allows the dispute to end up in Court.
ADR Procedures are flexible given that they are agreed at a time and place that is convenient for the parties and it is not necessary to follow strict rules of procedure.
A Trader who voluntarily submits to an ADR Entity, becomes more competitive than other Traders as it provides a service that its competitors may not provide.
The Consumer automatically considers such Traders more serious and professional than others, since s/he knows that in the event of a dispute, this will be resolved by an independent ADR Entity.
Advantages of the Cyprus Consumer Center for Alternative Dispute Resolution
CYPRUS CONSUMER CENTER FOR ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION
Law 85(I)/2017 on Alternative Dispute Resolution in Consumer Related Matters of 2017 obliges Traders to inform Consumers for the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Entity or Entities from which they are covered in the case of disputes with Consumers. In the event that a Trader refuses or fails to do so, then it is subject to a fine from the Consumer Protection Service.
The Cyprus Consumer Center for Alternative Dispute Resolution is an ADR Entity approved by the Consumer Protection Service (CPS), which has been established on a permanent basis and offers alternative dispute resolution services and it has been registered in the list of ADR Entities maintained by the CPS.
The benefits of a Trader to be covered by an ADR Entity are numerous and are explained below.
For Members of the Cyprus Employers and Industrialists Federation (ΟΕΒ) who are interested in registering with the Cyprus Consumer Center for ADR, please contact us directly or fill
out the online form. For Members of OEB we offer a €50 discount.